Gluten free bread recipe made with quinoa and chia seed
Although I’m not on a gluten free diet I know that too much bread makes me bloated and uncomfortable. So I was very happy finding this superfood gluten free bread recipe.
You could be forgiven thinking this is rye bread. I am a Dane after all and most Danes miss their rye bread when moving abroad. (We literally grow up on it!).
But rye definitely makes me bloated. So, no this is a vegan quinoa and chia seed bread. Full of nutrients, omega oils and protein.
I always adjust and modify my recipes including this gluten free bread recipe. This one I have tried with adding extra pea powder protein in which was fine. Although there is plenty of protein in already.
Seed cycling and gluten free bread recipe
For this recipe, I added extra seeds. I am trying out seed cycling where you use specific seed according to your menstrual cycle. A way to create harmony using the nutrients of various seeds specifically for the follicular and the luteal phase of the cycle. More on this in another post.
For this bread, I added ground and whole sesame and sunflower seeds. I will discuss seed cycling in another post. If you are not seed cycling you just use whichever seed you like!
Vegan gluten free bread recipe with quinoa and chia
- 340 gr quinoa (or a little less if you add extra seeds)
- (I added two heaped tbsp of ground sunflower + sesame seeds. Plus a small handful in the bread)
- 120 gr chia seeds
- 240 ml water
- 60 ml extra virgin olive oil + extra for greasing the loaf tin
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp of maple syrup
- 3 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- pinch of salt
- 70 gr of mixed seeds for sprinkling (I used sunflower and pumpkin seeds for sprinkling)
- The night before soaking the quinoa and chia seeds separately. Pour the water of the 240 ml water over the chia seeds. Cover the quinoa seeds with water. Cover, soak overnight in the fridge.
- Preheat oven at 160 C. Grease the loaf tin with some olive oil and line with baking paper.
- Drain excess water from quinoa seeds.
- In a blender place half of the quinoa seeds with the chia seeds, bicarbonate of soda, maple syrup, olive oil and lemon juice.
- Blend until nearly smooth. Stir in the rest of the quinoa seeds, grounded seeds and any seeds you want in the bread.
- Pour into a baking tin and sprinkle with seeds.
- Bake in the oven for a minimum of 70 minutes. I usually bake for around 90 minutes at least. Do the knife/skewer test. It should come out clean.
You now have a nutritious delicious vegan gluten free bread recipe!